World-Class Programs in Hospitality and Tourism
Switzerland is located in the heart of Western Europe, wedged between Germany, France, Austria, and Italy. Practically the center of Europe, Switzerland is surrounded by different cultures and scenery. Travelers are able to not only visit all of Europe, but because Switzerland is centrally located, visitors can easily travel to the nearby countries as well.
There is much to do in Switzerland from hotels and restaurants, to many outdoor activities. One of the main things Switzerland is known for is its cuisine and it is no surprise that they offer world-class training in hospitality and culinary arts. Students interested in these fields are strongly encouraged to at least visit Switzerland to gain a competitive advantage when looking for that first job.
Studying abroad is so important that even the Federal Government encourages it. It is imperative for American students to study abroad in order for dramatic educational and career development. This is why the U.S. offers programs such as the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship. This award provides funding to students who can’t quite afford to travel to another country. There is actually a stipulation where only students receiving Federal Pell Grants can apply. Students are encouraged to study in countries outside of the regular scope of most other study abroad programs. Nations such as those included in Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand are usually frowned upon. However, if a student can make a compelling argument as to why they want to study in one of those regions, the Gilman program will allow it.
The Gilman program is focused on giving students from high financial need backgrounds, community college students, and from diverse backgrounds the opportunity to study abroad. Over 2,300 scholarships are awarded each year to eligible students. The maximum amount awarded is $5,000 with the average amount being around $4,000.
Study Abroad Organizations
There are other organizations that give students the opportunity to study abroad. The School for International Training (SIT) is one of the most renowned groups when it comes to study abroad program. SIT offers many programs to place students in the best places in the world so they can gain educational as well as cultural understanding. They aim to make students better leaders in a growing world economy by empowering people and strengthening institutions through education, exchange, and development programs.
The School for International Training offers programs specifically for students wishing to study in Switzerland. The Global Health and Development Policy program places students in Geneva where they study Switzerland’s public health systems, health policy, and their development. Students will also learn about an array of subjects from mental health issues, to health security, access to medicines, and many others. A great feature of this program is that it is conducted entirely in English, so you don’t need any knowledge of a second language:
SITalso gives out scholarships and awards to students. Each year they hand out over $750,000 is scholarships and grants to students; over 80% of those who apply normally receive aid.
- SIT Fund- this is their flagship scholarship opportunity. It is awarded to students who demonstrate financial need and are enrolled in any SIT Study Abroad program.
- Lewy Family Global Health Scholars Program- this award goes to women scholars who are conducting an independent health-related study project.
- SIT Pell Grant Match Award- this fund matches Federal Pell Grant funding for any study abroad program.
Michigan State University offers a unique study abroad program in Switzerland for both science and non-science majors. Students get the chance to explore the different regions of this country while studying different aspects Environmental and Organismal Biology. This trip isn’t cheap, however, and MSU offers scholarships of up to $1,750 to those wishing to study abroad:
- Charles and Marjorie Gliozzo Merit Scholarship- students who have a GPA of 3.5 or higher are eligible for this award. A required 600 word essay needs to be submitted when you apply for this scholarship.
- Forest Akers Scholarship- this award goes to students who aren’t eligible for Pell grants yet still have a high financial need.
Kendall College based in Chicago, Illinois is world-renown for its School of Culinary Arts, and School of Hospitality Management. They partner with Les Roches International School of Hotel Management in Switzerland to offer students the opportunity to study abroad if they have the desire to. Switzerland is a beautiful country which makes it a prime tourist location. This gives students the best chance to gain knowledge from both class room learning and hands-on experience. They have many scholarship opportunities, and here are just a few examples of some they offer:
- Presidential Scholarship- this award covers half tuition per term for those accepted. You must have 3 letters of recommendation.
- Frontera Match Scholarship- this scholarship provides full-tuition to a student who comes from a Mexican background. Students must have gone to a Chicago public school and maintained a GPA of at least 2.5
- Student Organization Competition Awards- students who participate in any state or national competitions are eligible to receive tuition money ranging from $500- $18,000
The Department of Germanic & Slavic Studies at the University of Georgia offers the Kicklighter Study Abroad Travel Grants. This award is for students who are majoring in German or a Slavic Language looking to study abroad in a country which speaks the language the students are learning. Awards range from $500 to $1,000 and are to be used for travel expenses.