Add up the College Savings
A statistics major opens the door to a wide variety of organizations and fields: business, finance, education, medicine, government, and science.
If you are interested in majoring in statistics, and you are looking for help in paying for your post-secondary education, one of these funding options will be of interest to you:
American Statistical Association
The American Statistical Association is a world-wide community of statisticians from more than 90 countries that supports education and advancing research and promoting sound statistical practice. It offers several scholarship opportunities, including:
- Gertrude M. Cox Scholarship, $2,000, for female students who are either studying or planning on studying statistics at the graduate level. The scholarship is open to residents of the United States or Canada.
- The DV Gokhale International Grants in Statistics Program is open to all undergraduate and graduate students to study statistics in either the United States or India. It works for Indians studying in America at select universities, and Americans studying in India. Funding values vary.
- The Edward C. Bryant Scholarship for an Outstanding Graduate Student in Survey Statistics awards $2,500.
California State University (East Bay), Statistics Department
CSU East Bay’s Department of Statistically awards four annual scholarships worth $500 each to statistics graduate and undergraduate students: Heebok Park Scholarship; Justin Randle Memorial Scholarship; Bruce E. Trumbo Scholarship; and a Statistics Department Scholarship.
Iowa State University, Department of Statistics
Iowa State University’s Department of Statistics and Statistical Laboratory provides six named scholarships for graduate and undergraduate students majoring in statistics. All of the scholarships are awarded based on merit and financial need, and some are earmarked for nontraditional learners and those from challenging backgrounds. The amount awarded varies from $600 to $1,500 for one year. Undergraduates also can apply for general department scholarships valued at $1,000.
University of South Alabama, Department of Mathematics and Statistics
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics offers three, $500 scholarships for undergraduate majors, in addition to eight Department Scholarship in Mathematics and Statistics worth $1,500. The scholarship monies are to be used toward tuition and fees. Full-time sophomores and juniors studying mathematics and statistics who have attained a GPA of at least 3.0 are eligible to apply.
University of South Carolina, Department of Mathematics and Statistics
The University of South Carolina‘s Department of Mathematics and Statistics offers three scholarships for students majoring in statistics who have distinguished him or herself academically. Candidates for these sources of funding are nominated; there is no application.
Purdue University, David S. Moore Undergraduate Scholarship
Statistics students at Purdue University have a range of scholarships of varying amounts available to them, including:
- The Virgil L. Anderson Scholarship funds expenses and honorarium for a high-achieving undergraduate who shows promise of contributing to statistics.
- The David S. Moore Undergraduate Scholarship for undergraduate students.
- The L. J. Cote M. S. Excellence in Statistics Award funds expenses and honorarium for a student who will be completing an M.S. in Applied Statistics.
- The Bob and Marjorie McLean Scholarship fund is used for scholarships for graduate students in the Department of Statistics.
University of Northern Iowa, Department of Mathematics
UNI has a robust mathematics and statistics program, offering various scholarships, including:
- Mathematics Alumni Scholarships, $2,500, for an incoming freshman student majoring in statistical science.
- STM/Mathematics Scholarships, $3,000, are awarded to two to three incoming freshmen (current High School Seniors) toward a bachelor’s degree with a major in some area of mathematics, including statistics. It is renewable for students who maintain at least a 3.0 GPA.
- John F. and Ruth Cross Scholarship, $1,790, for a statistics major who will have completed or be participating in an internship at the time of receipt. Preference goes to students with internships outside of Iowa.
- Arts and Humanities
- Automotive Trades
- Exercise Science
- Health and Medical
- Information Technology
- Law Enforcement
- Library Sciences
- Massage Therapy
- Physical and Life Sciences
- Social Sciences
- Social Work
- Teaching and Education
- Technical Schooling
- Vocational Schooling
- Writing an Essay
- Selecting an Essay Topic
- Information Requests
- College Books
- Scholarship Scams
- Management Services
- Tax Credits
- Thank You Letters
- Spam-Free Searching
- Tuition Reimbursement
- College Saving Tips