Scholarships for Podiatrists
Let Scholarships Foot the Bill for College
People need their feet more than they know. A podiatrist specializes in foot care and diseases of the foot. Medical specialists are always in high demand, and those in the profession want to assure an enduring legacy. Therefore, even though studying medicine can also mean costly college bills, there are many resources to help out with these expenses. There are national organizations, help from your school and other local resources. Check out our scholarships and see if any foot your bill for school.
Scholarships from National Organizations
The American Podiatric Medical Association (APMA) Fund for Podiatric Medical Education is available to third and fourth year students attending one of the nine podiatry colleges. Currently, over 190 scholarships worth $1,000 are being awarded each year, though these numbers are growing.
The Zelda Walling Vicha Scholarship is offered by the American Society of Podiatric Medical Assistants (ASPMA) to students entering their fourth year. Awards are based on academic achievement and definite financial need. Applicants must write an essay on their personal background.
The American Associate of Women Podiatrists Founders Scholarship is offered to members of AAWP. Female students must be a third year podiatric medical student with a GPA of at least 3.0.
School Specific Scholarships
Most medical schools understand the cost of attending is difficult for many students to manage. They do their best to make this easier, more notably for merit-based achievement, but need based issues are considered as well. Check with any potential schools for assistance they may offer. Below is a small sampling of what you may expect.
Midwestern University in Arizona is for second, third and fourth year podiatry medical students. They maintain a significant list of scholarships for all medical students. They are divided by specialty, and quite a number are designed for podiatry students. For example:
- Johnson & Johnson Wound Management Scholarship is granted to a 3rd year students attending the Arizona Podiatric Medicine Program, with preference given to those who have demonstrated knowledge of and appreciation for the challenges of acute and chronic wound healing.
- MWU Need Based Scholarship is awarded to students who demonstrate the most significant financial need as
determined by their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Temple University School of Pediatric Medicine (TUSPM) in Pennsylvania offers several scholarships for TUSPM students. They are classified both by class and general scholarships. Students need only fill out one application for multiple scholarships. Some that are offered include:
- J. David Derr, D.P.M. Memorial Scholarship is for third year students who have excelled academically, have demonstrated service to TUSPM and colleagues and who have financial need. Five awards of approximately $4,000 each are awarded.
- D. Richard DiNapoli, D.P.M. Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a fourth year student in the podiatry program. Students must demonstrate a desire to complete the program and must show a dedication to the field of podiatry. Students must also show a financial need. They must also demonstrate an interest in and commitment to the advancement of surgical treatment of the foot and ankle.
- Betty Souder Frese Scholarship Fund is awarded to a third year student who has excelled academically and shows financial need.
New York College of Podiatric Medicine offers a wide range of scholarships, worth $500,000 total a year. Merit based awards of $2,000 to $10,000 a year are awarded to the most highly qualified incoming students, and competitive scholarships are given to outstanding students throughout the D.P.M. program.
The Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences offers academic scholarships ranging from $2500 to half-tuition for highly qualified students in the Podiatric Medicine Program. Several additional scholarships are offered, including the Dean’s Scholarship, which is awarded to students not receiving any other type of Barry financial aid.
The Podiatry Foundation of Pittsburgh offers grants for research in podiatric medicine, as well as several scholarships given based on year in school. Up to three scholarships are offered at each of the year levels every year. Scholarships are awarded based on both merit and need.
- The Scott Alter DPM Memorial Scholarship is for first year podiatry students from Pennsylvania. Students are required to submit a one page essay about their financial need and goals.
- The Scott Griffith DPM Memorial Scholarship is for second year podiatry students from Pennsylvania. Students are required to submit a one page essay about their financial need and goals.
- The Andrew Graciano Jr. DPM Memorial Scholarship is for third year students from Pennsylvania. Students are required to submit a one page essay about their financial need and goals.
- The Frank Martino DPM Memorial Scholarship is for fourth year podiatry students from Pennsylvania. Students are required to submit a one page essay about their financial need and goals.
The Rural Assistance Center offers the Illinois Podiatric Scholarship Program to increase the number of podiatrists in underserviced rural areas of Illinois. The award pays full tuition, matriculation fees and a living stipend. Scholarship recipients repay the awards by practicing as podiatric physicians in areas of the state determined by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
As you can see, there are plenty of avenues to help fund your podiatric education. However, this is only a partial list of what is available. Check with your potential school and review the websites listed above for more detailed searches.
Health and Medical
- Diet and Nutrition
- EMS and Paramedic
- Health Informatics
- Health Information Technology
- Occupational Safety/Health
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Physician Assistants
- Promotion and Education
- Public Health
- Respiratory Therapy
- Sports Science
- Writing an Essay
- Selecting an Essay Topic
- Information Requests
- College Books
- Scholarship Scams
- Management Services
- Tax Credits
- Thank You Letters
- Spam-Free Searching
- Tuition Reimbursement
- College Saving Tips