Architecture Scholarship Programs
Kick-Start your Career with Architecture Scholarships
Without architects we might have mud-huts for dwellings. Architects combine both form and function into the buildings in which we live, work and play, all over the globe, from rural to urban. Typical undergraduate programs last five years, with the first year focused on core curricula. There are countless architecture programs all over the U.S. and increasing opportunities for study abroad within the major, as well. Between college funding and that provided through private and professional organizations, scholarship monies are just as abundant.
The American Architectural Foundation (AAF) is a not-for-profit organization whose main mission is to enlighten others on the role of architecture in the fabric of our communities. To those ends the AAF administers a number of scholarships that encourage students to pursue the study of architecture:
- American Architectural Foundation and Sir John Soane‘s Museum Foundation Traveling Fellowships are designed for graduate architecture students who wish to study abroad in England. Applicants must exhibit serious interest in the works of John Soane to be considered. Awards are $5,000.
- RTKL Traveling Fellowships are funded by a partner architecture firm and offer generous scholarship money to architecture majors.
- AAF Minority/Disadvantaged Scholarships go to architecture majors or high school seniors enrolling in an architecture program. Recipients are chosen on the basis of academic merit, financial need and/or minority status from pool of applicants. Awards may be as much as $2,500, depending on financial need.
The Architects League of Northern New Jersey provides a number of highly competitive scholarships restricted to applicants living only in certain New Jersey counties:
- Albert O. Halse Memorial Scholarship goes to an exemplary undergraduate architectural major whose talent lies in modeling.
- Architects League Scholastic Achievement goes to applicants with outstanding academic records in their major.
- Clarence Tabor Memorial Scholarships are awarded to majors in their last year, which for architecture majors is year five. Scholarships are given based on a range of criteria.
World Studio Foundation is an international organization devoted to promotion of the arts and creative education. Through programs, funding for organizations and scholarships, World Studio hopes to continue to enlighten the world on the force of creative collaboration and the importance of art at all levels. Scholarships are available for a smorgasbord of creative fields, including architecture. Applicants must be enrolled in a four-year program, majoring in architecture to qualify. Also preference is given to minorities and all applicants must demonstrate significant financial need. Awards vary.
The Joseph L. and Vivian A. Steele Architecture Scholarship Fund is administered by The Foundation for Enhancing Communities and provides money to upper level undergraduate or graduate architecture students.
Architecture majors at Syracuse University may be eligible for the CIB Foundation, Inc. Scholarships. These scholarships are awarded to outstanding seniors who have completed an internship or co-op program affording them hands-on experience. Awards are $1,500.
Architecture majors at Iowa State University study in the standard five-year architecture degree plan within the College of Design. The program sponsors the following scholarships for architecture majors:
- Henningson, Durham and Richardson Awards are given to those majors in their final year who are able to demonstrate a commitment to the field through academic achievement and a written essay. Financial need is also a requirement. Awards are $1,000.
- HLM Design Scholarships are also carefully meted out to majors in their last year. Awards are made on the basis of academic achievement and extracurricular involvement in field-specific activities. Awards are $1,000.
- American Institute of Architects-Iowa Chapter Scholarships are given to undergraduates who exhibit talent in the design aspects of the major. Scholarships are $500.