Health and Physical Education Scholarships

Choose Your Specialty: Exercise Science, Kinesiology and Others

The field of health and physical education (HPE) prepares students to teach exercise and health science in the school system, and for that reason the major is often housed in the education department. Many HPE students are also college athletes. There are a number of specializations available to HPE majors, such as kinesiology (the study of human motion), coaching, motor development, and fitness/athletic training.

Most schools that offer degrees in health and physical education provide some form of financial aid specifically for that department, often in the form of scholarships. The scholarships mentioned below represent a fraction rather than the whole of available assistance.

Northwestern Oklahoma State Universitype scholarships

The Department of Health and Physical Education at Northwestern Oklahoma State University devotes a page to information about its scholarships including the following:

  • The C.L. “Dick” Highfill Scholarship goes to a student with a 2.5 cumulative GPA, preferably a resident of Northwest Oklahoma. Students living in South Central Kansas receive second priority, and any student who expresses an interest in teaching or coaching will be considered.
  • The W.D. and Lucille B. Newby Scholarship Award, for a health and physical education major, requires a GPA of 3.0. Applicants should live in Oklahoma and demonstrate leadership ability.
  • The Lt. Mike Warehime Scholarship selects a student nominated by the chair of the department.

Northern Illinois University

Northern Illinois University (NIU)’s Department of Kinesiology and Physical Education (KNPE, and it is part of the College of Education) does have a scholarship page. That page shows no details about individual awards, but some of the scholarships normally offered are:

  • The John H. Johansen Scholarship in Education accepts applicants from several majors in the College of Education, including physical education. You must be a full-time undergraduate or graduate student to apply.
  • The Miriam Anderson Scholarship is awarded to an undergraduate physical education major with a GPA of at least 3.0 in major courses.
  • The Margaret May Duncan Scholarship is given to a female student who has a strong academic history and the capacity to be a good teacher. Applicants must be juniors/rising seniors with at least a 3.0 GPA.
  • The Judith A. Bischoff Scholarship is awarded to an undergraduate KNPE major who shows leadership ability and is in good standing with NIU.

Eastern Kentucky University

The College of Health Sciences at Eastern Kentucky University hands out a number of scholarships suited to physical education majors. Examples of current awards are:

  • The Rome Rankin Athletic Award Fund supports juniors and seniors majoring in physical education who have a GPA of at least 2.25.
  • The Fred Darling Scholarship Fund is similar to the Rankin, but is restricted to seniors.

Montana State University

The health and physical education degree program in Montana State University’s Department of Health and Human Development is referred to as Health Enhancement K-12, and the department provides several scholarships for majors:

  • The John and Marilyn (Milburn) Asbridge Scholarship can go to an undergraduate or a graduate student. Residents of Montana are preferred.
  • The John W. “Brick” Breeden Scholarship is intended for a full-time undergraduate who shows good character, has a GPA of 2.5, and is not receiving an athletic scholarship.
  • The Marga Hosaeus Memorial Scholarship goes to a junior or senior who has a 2.5 GPA, attends full-time, and can present a personal reference from an advisor.

Edinboro University

Edinboro University’s Health and Physical Education Department sponsors four scholarships for its majors:

  • The Nancy J. Acker (HPE) Scholarship rewards students for participation in extracurricular activities, community service, good character, and number of honors received.
  • The Edinboro University Health and Physical Education Triathlon Scholarship goes to a candidate who has either entered or volunteered for the competition, and has completed 30 credit hours with a GPA of 2.5.
  • The Drs. Ken and Linda Felker Scholarship is reserved for a full-time HPE major on the path to certification as a teacher.
  • The Dr. Jim W. Roberts Jr. Scholarship benefits an HPE major or a member of the Exercise Science Club, and students focusing on exercise science receive preference.

Scholarships From Private Organizations

American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance

The American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD) has posted a page of student scholarships. Health and physical education majors may apply for these awards:

  • The Ruth Abernathy Presidential Scholarships are distributed to three undergraduates and two graduate students each spring.
  • The AAHE Barbara A. Cooley Scholarship, underwritten by a member organization called the American Association for Health Education (AAHE), pays $1,000 to a masters candidate.
  • The AAHE Delbert Oberteuffer Scholarship in the amount of $1,500 is given to an outstanding doctoral student.
  • The AAHE Bill Kane Undergraduate Scholarship brings $1,000.


NEW: Scholarship search engine: fast, free, no registration required. Try it today!