Scholarships for Microbiology
Stay Out of College Debt
Microbiology is the study of microscopic organisms and the larger forms they create. There are some people who have no interest in these small things; but, there are also those who dedicate their lives to this subject because of its importance. This area of study plays an increasingly important role in the fields of Botany, General Medicine and Veterinary Medicine. By understanding the significance of these small organisms, biologists are able to come up with cures for many sicknesses.
There are many other occupations for those who have studied microbiology, such as working as laboratory specialists, botanists, and becoming professors themselves.
There are many organizations that encourage the study of microbiology through scholarships, grants and fellowships. The American Society for Microbiology is one such group which offers the Robert D. Watkins Graduate Research Fellowship. The focus of this program is to increase the number of underrepresented groups striving for their doctoral degrees in microbiology. This fellowship encourages the timely completion of their research project in the microbiological sciences.
Students will be required to submit a summary of their research each year to be presented at the annual ASM General Meeting. Eligible applicants will be from groups that are underrepresented in the microbiological sciences. These groups include African-Americans, Native Americans, Hispanics, Alaskan Natives, and Pacific Islanders. This fellowship is highly competitive. Those fortunate enough to be selected will receive a generous fund of $63,000 for a three year period! Be sure to apply as soon as possible for the best chance of getting chosen.
There are also many colleges and university that offer scholarships for those studying Microbiology. Here are just a few:
The Microbiology program at the University of Wisconsin- La Crosse offers students the feeling of working in a large scale program while maintaining the charm of a smaller university. This program offers eight scholarships that pay over $5,500 per year. Here are the larger scholarships UW-LAX offers:
- Walter Winfrey Memorial Microbiology Scholarship- this scholarship goes to an undergraduate student studying at either the Junior or Senior level. Students are required to have a GPA of at least 3.25 This award is for $1,000.
- Robert Burns Medical Microbiology Scholarship- any Microbiology major in Junior or Senior standing who has taken Pathogenic Microbiology is eligible for this award. To be considered, you must have a GPA of at least 3.25. This scholarship is an award of $800.
- Microbiology Public Health Scholarship- Microbiology majors who demonstrate an interest in Immunology or Public Health are eligible for this award. Again, students must have a GPA of at least 3.25 in order to be considered. $500 is awarded.
The University of Oklahoma is the number one school in the nation in affordability for students. As such, they offer ample scholarships to students. Here are a few awards specifically for Microbiology majors:
- Harrison L. Chance Scholarship- this scholarship is given based on scholastic achievements and needs. Students who are going to be pursuing a career in microbiology are eligible for this award. It pays an amount of $750.
- Margaret Root McKinley Scholarship- this $500 award is given to full-time students who are majoring in Microbiology. Students must be nominated by an OU faculty member and have a GPA of at least 3.0.
The University of Oklahoma also offers scholarships for students who are Microbiology majors or Botany majors:
- George L. and Cleo Cross Undergraduate Endowed Scholarships- these awards for undergraduate students are given to those who have a GPA of above 3.0 and have completed 30 credit hours. Only four of these scholarships are awarded each year, so be sure to keep your grades up in order to receive this award.
- Lois Pfiester Women in Science Scholarship- this award goes to a female student working toward an advanced degree in either Botany or Microbiology. The student must demonstrate excellence in both teaching and research. This highly competitive scholarship awards a stipend of $750
Iowa State University’s Microbiology Department is dedicated to becoming the best undergraduate microbiology program in the nation. They focus on teaching their students the basic sciences and their applications in order prepare them for careers in the microbiology field. Listed below are a few of the scholarships they offer:
- Martha Vincent-Ridge Scholarship in Pre-Veterinary Microbiology- this scholarship is given to students with financial need majoring in Microbiology. The award is for $1,000, and students are allowed to receive this scholarship more than once.
- Paul and Marge Hartman Freshman Scholarship- this scholarship is for incoming freshman majoring in Microbiology. This award is for $750.
- Clifford A. Shillinglaw Memorial Scholarship- this scholarship is for undergraduate students majoring in Microbiology. Preference is given to students who are interested in a career in microbiology and chemical engineering. Students are able to receive this award of $750 more than once.
The Microbiology Department at Oregon State University is huge! They are the only school in Oregon to offer a B.S. degree in Microbiology and over 130 students are enrolled in this program. They offer courses aimed at the roles of microbes with respect to human and environmental health. They offer a variety of scholarships which provide funding of anywhere from $500 to $2,000:
- Eleanor G. Ford Memorial Scholarship- this scholarship is given to students who are Juniors in standing studying microbiology. To be eligible, students must show an interest in a career in Public Health Microbiology.
- Helen Alford Hays Women in Microbiology Scholarship- this scholarship is designed to encourage more women to study microbiology. All females with a GPA of at least 3.0 are eligible for this award.
- Mark H. Middlekauf Scholarship- students who are either Junior or Senior in standing and are performing undergraduate research are eligible for this award.
- Kathryn Tinnesand Memorial Scholarship- this award goes to students with a minimum GPA of 3.0 who are participating in undergraduate research at OSU. Students must also show interest and promise in microbiological research.