Scholarships for Microbiology
Stay Out of College Debt
You’ve probably heard the term microbes bandied about before. Well Microbiology is essentially the study of these things. Microbiology programs involve a wide range of curricula and offer students the chance to concentrate in such fields as Botany, Veterinary Medicine, and General Medicine. Microbiology essentially involves studies of organisms, the units of life-substance that comprise larger forms. Students may get their feet wet in such topics as genetics and diseases.
Graduates may hold Bachelors, Masters or Ph.D. degrees in Microbiology and pursue a wide range of professions such as medical laboratory specialists, botanists and conservationists, and educators.
The Robert D. Watkins Graduate Research Fellowship is sponsored by the American Society for Microbiology. The fellowship is only open to minority graduate students in a microbiology program of study. Almost $20,000 per academic year is awarded to the most outstanding candidates.
South Dakota State University advertises the competitiveness of its Biology/Microbiology Department, with curriculum that covers a broad range of the field, from large to small. SDSU has a number of scholarships expressly funded for the use of Microbiology students:
- Friends of Microbiology Majors Scholarships are awarded for a range of criteria with a variable amount of funding available.
- Biology Alumni Scholarships are also used by micro majors.
- 3M Microbiology Scholarships offer generous funding to students. Awards vary based on number of recipients and need.
- Students pursuing veterinary microbiology may qualify for funding through the John McAdaragh Memorial Scholarship. Awards are $300.
The Microbiology program at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse offers students looking for a large-scale program in the scope of a smaller university. Scholarships available for Microbiology students at the UW-Lacrosse include:
- Allen Nelson Mycology Scholarships offer $500 to an upper-class microbiology major. Applicants must have mycology courses under their belt to be considered.
- Robert Burns Medical Microbiology Scholarships are awarded to outstanding upperclassmen in the major. Awards are $800.
- Larry Trammell Microbiology Prep Room Scholarships are designed to reward students who have worked at least part-time in the department “prep room.” Awards are $500.
- Students concentrating in public health may be qualified for the Microbiology Public Health Scholarships. Eligible applicants must be at the top of their class. Awards are $500.
- Microbiology Scholarships give $500 to outstanding majors.
The University of Oklahoma combines the botany and microbiology programs under one larger department. UO provides the following scholarships for students in microbiology:
- Harrison L. Chance Scholarships are awarded to students who demonstrate both a high academic motivation and record in combination with financial need for the funds. Open to both undergraduate and graduate students. Up to $750 awarded.
- Margaret Root McKinley Scholarships are given to students with outstanding academic records. Candidates chosen for the award earn $500.
Iowa State University’s scholarships in Microbiology:
- Paul and Marge Hartman Freshman Scholarship is, of course exclusively awarded to freshmen in the major. Awards are $500.
- Clifford A. Shillinglaw Memorial Scholarship is offered to microbiology students who are residents of Iowa. Scholarships are $500.
- Wayne and Karen Ridge Scholarship in Pre-Veterinary Microbiology goes to pre-Veterinary students who are committed to continuing their education. Criteria include proven financial need. Up to $500.
Oregon State University students majoring in Microbiology should not overlook the following scholarships sponsored by the department. Opportunities for extra funding cover a range of course specialties from public health to the environment:
- Eleanor G. Ford Memorial Scholarships are awarded to outstanding majors whose primary interest is public health.
- Mark H. Middlekauf Scholarships go to upperclassmen in the major who have also had to spend time conducting research on a microbiology project.
- Helen Alford Hays Women in Microbiology Scholarships are obviously awarded to female students in the major who exhibit outstanding academics.
- T.R. Aspirtarte Scholarships go to environmental micro students.