Software Engineering Student Scholarships
Work with Tech Writers, Programmers and End-Users to Develop Applications
The job of a Software Engineer involves developing and designing software with the end-user in mind. Software engineers must also work closely with computer programmers and technical writers, both of whom translate software first into a logical computer language and lastly the English language that the consumer-layperson can understand.
Curriculum may include programming language, software design, logic principles and data structures, and software testing.
The College of Engineering at San Jose State University has a comprehensive computer and engineering program. There are many scholarships offered by the institution as well as those funded by corporate and private sponsors:
- HP Scholarship is awarded to incoming freshman in the software engineering program. Fund awards vary.
- Intel Scholarship is available to computer and software engineering students.
- Alumni Association Dean's Scholarship is awarded to the most academically outstanding students in their class.
One of the most coveted programs for software engineering students is the Apple Internship in software engineering, sponsored by University of California-Irvine. Students receive a salary and stipend for the duration.
The University of Montana Scholarship in Computer Software Engineering is awarded to an incoming freshman based on academic merit. Recipient may be awarded $500 per academic year, renewable contingent with academic performance.
Software Engineering Education and Training Conference Scholarships are awarded by the NSF to student-members who are interested in attending the annual conference. Applicants must submit a written letter articulating their career goals related to software engineering and attach a letter of recommendation from faculty.
The Multicultural Engineering Program Scholarships through UCSC, are designed to encourage women and minority students to pursue engineering degrees including software engineering:
- MEP Scholarship is a merit-based award for minorities or women in an engineering discipline. Awards are up to $2500.
- Amy Beth Snader Memorial Scholarship is designed to honor the memory of an engineering student and is awarded to women in engineering, including those enrolled in software engineering. Faculty present nominations for the award and criteria are based on merit and financial need. Up to $1,000 available.
- Silicon Valley Engineering Council Award goes to outstanding students in the engineering department. Academics and extracurricular activities both count toward the scholarship.
Virgil and Georgan Ellerbruch Scholarship is open to students enrolled in the software-engineering program at South Dakota State University. Up to $800 possible.
The Library and Information Technology Association offers many scholarships for IT, but the most applicable for software engineering students is the Endeavor Student Writing Award. Student essayists go head to head in writing the best essay on their major. Up to $1,000 awarded to the winner. Competition is open to graduate students only.