College Scholarships for Thespians
Expect to become the next great Broadway actor? Performing arts scholarships through colleges and universities are typically weighted on a blend of talent and academics and for that reason are extremely competitive. Even small programs attract notable talent. Auditions are usually expected if a scholarship is involved.
College-Specific Scholarships for Theater Majors
Elmhurst College in Elmhurst, IL offers talent scholarship to those students who demonstrate excellence in theatre. Contact the Director of the College Theatre for audition and portfolio information.
The School of Theatre at Illinois State University in Normal, IL offers several scholarships:
- Tuition scholarships are given to first year theatre majors who are evaluated on their previous achievement and potential for future success.
- Talent Grant In Aid is granted to continuing theatre majors and is evaluated on their service to the school, academic achievement and production work.
- Friends of the Arts are cash scholarships awarded to continuing theatre students and awarded based on the students GPA, production work and involvement in the school.
- Theatre Education awards are cash grants given to continuing theatre majors who are involved with the school, have a high GPA and have demonstrated talent.
- Jean Scharfenberg, who is the founder of the School of theatre, funds the Jean Scharfenberg Scholarship. It is given to an acting major graduate who demonstrates incredible acting skills.
- Caroline Gordon who was a longtime staff member funds the Caroline Gordon Scholarship. It is given to an acting major graduate who has shown great commitment to the school.
- The Blackfriars Scholarship is funded by Blackfriars who entertained on campus. It is awarded to an undergraduate who shows leadership, service, talent, drive, and potential for success.
Alma College in Alma, MI offers two scholarships:
- The Performance Scholarship is available to first year student only no matter what their major. Students receive $1,000 or more if they demonstrate excellent skill in acting, design or technical theatre. Students have to audition for this scholarship.
- The Distinguished Performance Scholarship is for students with the best Performance Scholarship audition. Those students compete for an award of $3,000 and up.
Blinn College in Brenham, TX offers Theatre Arts Scholarship for students who are majoring in theatre arts and must audition to be eligible for this award. They must be enrolled in at least three semester hours of speech classes or theatre arts classes. They must also take part in all Blinn College drama productions.
Whitman College in Walla Walla, WA offers the Presidential Scholarship in theatre for entering student who demonstrate excellence in theatre. Awards vary from $2,500 to $28,735. In order to be eligible, an audition must be done.
Herberger College in Tempe, AZ offers several scholarships to their fine arts students:
- The Claudia Higgins Scholarship is based on acting abilities of female students who are either undergraduates or graduates.
- Dubois Foundation Scholarship is for full time undergraduate majoring in theatre with a GPA of 2.5 or graduate with a 3.0 major. Letter of recommendation is required.
- Sun Angel Scholarships are given to theatre undergraduates with a minimum GPA of 3.0. Students must be an Arizona resident and demonstrate financial need.