Gas Engineering Scholarships
Find Money to Become a Petroleum Engineer
Students pursuing the field of Petroleum Engineering will receive basic curriculum in general engineering before launching into the more specialized topics of oil and natural gas. Where the resources are found, how they are located, and via what methods they are removed from the earth and transported, are all part of the course work.
In the field, a gas or petroleum engineer will use increasingly sophisticated methods to extract and transport oil and natural gas as well as utilize innovative methods for discovery. While we are still a world reliant on fossil fuels the demand for Petroleum Engineers will remain strong.
The U.S. Department of Energy sponsors the Mickey Leland Energy Fellowships. The awards give minority students pursuing a major in petroleum and natural gas engineering and related programs a generous opportunity to work in the confines of an internship with the U.S. government. Recipients must be considering future careers with the Department of Energy.
Students enrolled in the Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering major at West Virginia University may qualify for scholarships directly from the College of Engineering and Mineral Resources.
Texas A&M University sponsors the B.D. O'Neal '53 Scholarship for students studying in the Petroleum Engineering program.
University of Pennsylvania College of Earth and Mineral Sciences offers students majoring in the Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering program the following scholarship opportunities. Awards may be between $500 and $6,000:
- Luther Bissey Memorial Scholarship is open to academically outstanding undergrads.
- Richard P. and John N. Davis Memorial Scholarship is awarded to students with proven academic talent combined with financial need. Eligible applicants will be undergraduates in the program.
- Students with demonstrated economic disadvantage may qualify for the Edwin Drake Memorial Scholarship.
- Robert Hawk Scholastic Achievement Award is based on just what it says: academic merit of the highest order. Juniors are eligible to apply.
- Fred Kumpf Memorial Scholarship is open to students. Awards are based on academics and financial need.
- Applicants for the John Leone Scholarship must be at least in their junior year and not only enrolled in the P&N program, but also studying business courses.
- Freshmen enrolled in the program may apply for the Richard and Dorothy Lesher Scholarship. Students must have outstanding academic records to be considered.
- C. Drew Stahl Award is applicable to undergraduates who have an uncanny aptitude in the major.
- George Trimble Scholarship is awarded based on a combination of criteria including talent in the major and financial need.
The Society of Petroleum Engineers funds the competitive Gus Archie Memorial Scholarship. The annual award is given to undergraduate students with outstanding academic records. Awards are $5000 a year, renewable up to four years of study. The SPE also funds regional scholarships available through local chapters.