Environmental Engineering Scholarships
The Field is Trendy and Scholarships are Competitive
In light of pollution, global warming, an eroding ozone layer and other issues regarding the environment, it is no wonder that more and more jobs are being created to address these concerns. That is why Environmental Engineering is an up and coming discipline of study in college. The interesting part about this degree is that it can be utilized in a number of ways, from the study of groundwater to applications in the construction industry. If Environmental Engineering sounds like a possible career path for you, consider applying for a scholarship to help fund your education.
Scholarships from Environmentally Conscious Corporations
Brown and Caldwell is a consulting firm that does work within the environmental industry. They offer the Dr. W. Wesley Eckenfelder, Jr. Scholarship geared toward students who declare a major within the environmental and engineering sciences. Students must be permanent residents or United States citizens and enrolled full-time as a graduate or undergraduate at an accredited university. In addition, students must have at least an overall grade point average of 3.0 out of 4.0.
Annie's Homegrown Naturals is an organic food company which offers the Annie's Homegrown Environmental Studies Scholarship to full-time students who major in an environmental discipline, including Environmental Engineering. Candidates must have at least one year remaining before earning their degree and be enrolled in a two or four year accredited college program in the United States. Graduate students are also welcome to apply. This $1,000 scholarship can be used toward tuition, textbooks and other related college expenses.
Scholarships from Professional Organizations
The Arkansas Environmental Federation supports students engaged in environmental studies through several scholarships. The Randall Mathis Scholarship for Environmental Studies is one of these and Environmental Engineering students are welcome to apply. Conditions for this scholarship include being a resident of Arkansas as well as completing forty hours of college in a graduate or undergraduate degree program. In addition, candidates must be enrolled as a full-time student, have at least a 2.8 grade point average and provide a letter of recommendation from a professor as well as two letters which cover the candidate's academic and personal character. Monetary awards typically are $2,500.
The Southern Arizona Environmental Management Society supports students planning a career in the environmental field including those majoring in Environmental Engineering. Eligible candidates can be either a graduate or undergraduate at the University of Arizona and have at least a 2.5 grade point average. Two scholarships are typically awarded every year.
The University of Texas at Arlington presents several scholarships every year to students in their Civil and Environmental Engineering Department. The university offers scholarships to incoming freshmen, current undergraduates, transfer students and even graduate students. Environmental Engineering majors are eligible for a number of scholarships including:
- The Gene H. Carter/John J. Burgess Scholarship - Geared toward incoming freshman, this scholarship is $10,000 with $2,500 awarded each year for four years. Main criteria for eligibility include being accepted into the engineering department, high grade point average in high school, stellar achievement and aptitude test scores, and extracurricular activities. Financial need sometimes plays a factor too.
- The Halff Associates Scholarship - This scholarship is also for incoming freshmen who should have at least a score of 1100 on SAT's or 27 on ACT. Grade point average in high school should be at least a 3.0. This monetary award is $2,000 and can be renewed for three years.
- The Joe Rady Scholarship - Eligible students must have completed at least one year of course work within the department of engineering. This monetary award is contingent on scholastic achievement, financial need and prediction of completion of an engineering degree.
- The Laura Goodnight Poor Scholarship for Women - Two scholarships are awarded - one to a junior or senior undergraduate female student and one to a graduate female student. Requirements for the scholarships include permanent or United States residency and at least a 3.0 grade point average.
The University of California at Irvine has a Civil and Environmental Engineering department, which offers several scholarships to its students:
- The Freshman Scholarship - Incoming students who possess outstanding academic achievement and show future promise in the engineering field are considered. This $1,000 scholarship is presented as a credit to the University bookstore to go toward the purchase of textbooks and other supplies.
- The Jan Scherfig Scholarship and the Gary Guyman Scholarship - Both of these scholarships are $1,000 awards. Students who display high scholastic achievement and excellence in extracurricular activities are front runners for the scholarships.