Chemical Engineering Scholarships
Find your Niche in Chemical Engineering
Chemical engineering degrees are not limited to jobs in the oil and gas industry. You could also work in research and development, the environmental field, design processes, or even go on to medical school. There are a number of opportunities for chemical engineering graduates. The first hurdle that you have to jump over first is paying for that education. Luckily, there are some scholarships out there specifically for chemical engineering students.
Organizational Scholarships for Chemical Engineer Students
The American Institute of Chemical Engineers offers several scholarships to students who demonstrate academic achievement. Each scholarship is directed toward a specific category of chemical engineering:
- The Donald F. and Mildred Topp Othmer National Scholarship is awarded to fifteen students each year who are members of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers. The scholarship award is for $1,000 and recipients are chosen based on their academic achievement as well as for their contributions to their particular student chapter. Only one nomination from each chapter will be accepted and must be from a Student Chapter Advisor.
- John J. McKetta Undergraduate Scholarship is awarded to an undergraduate chemical engineering student, juniors or seniors only, who plan to have a career in the chemical engineering process industries. The monetary award is $5,000. They should have at least a 3.0 grade point average and submit an essay outlining what their career goals are. Two letters of recommendation are a prerequisite with one being from their local student chapter advisor of the American Institute of Chemical Engineers and the other being from a professor.
The Southwest Chemical Association offers several scholarships to deserving chemical engineering students. Ten scholarships at $5,000 each are awarded each year to academically gifted college students attending a university in the southwest region of the United States. You must inquire about scholarships with the association in order to receive the scholarship information.
College Scholarships in Chemical Engineering
Louisiana Tech University has several scholarships available to chemical engineering students. Each one has different parameters of eligibility:
- A general chemical engineering scholarship is made available to any full-time undergraduate who is both continuing their education from a previous semester and able to demonstrate financial need. Grade point average must be at least a 3.0. Scholarships are based on availability if funds, but the general rule has been $600 per year.
- The Copolymer Rubber and Chemical Scholarship is awarded to an undergraduate full-time student in financial need that is majoring in chemical engineering. The grade point average must be a minimum of 3.0. Based on fund availability, the scholarship will typically be around $600 per year.
- Petroleum giant, Chevron, sponsors a scholarship which is geared toward a junior or senior with a major in chemical engineering. Full-time students must demonstrate financial need and have at least a 3.0 grade point average. Monetary awards are typically $600 per year.
- The Eastman Chemical Company sponsors a scholarship geared toward senior chemical engineering majors who are especially financially disadvantaged. Grade point average must be at least 3.0 and students must be citizens of the United States and be ranked in the top 10% of the class. Based on available funds, the scholarship is usually $4,000.
Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan also offers scholarships to chemical engineering students. Some of the scholarship amounts vary from year to year:
- The Frederick G. Weed Graduate Chemical Engineering Scholarship Endowment Fund is aimed toward undergraduate students attending school full-time who show financial need, high academic achievement and demonstrate leadership. The monetary awards differ from year to year.
- The Professor Ernest B. Drake Scholarship is geared to full-time junior and senior students majoring in chemical engineering. A 2.5 minimum grade point average is needed as well as leadership qualities and a display of financial need. Dollar amount varies from year to year.
- The Janson Guzik Memorial Scholarship is for senior chemical engineering students with outstanding leadership qualities and a 3.0 grade point average or higher. The monetary award is based on availability of funds.