Get a Degree that Puts You into Business Management
Business management means controlling a company’s operations in a way that produces the desired results consistently. For example, a human resources manager will understand how to screen resumes and train employees while ensuring the company as a whole adheres to employment law. A production manager keeps an assembly line properly supplied and staffed while coping with mechanical issues and meeting quotas.
There is a set of skills you will need for any type of business management, like understanding the steps in all processes under your control, delegating responsibilities successfully (which means orchestrating groups of people to function as a unit), and remaining au courant on trends, best practices, and new theory in your line of work.
Scholarships From Colleges
Arizona State University
Arizona State University’s W. P. Carey School of Business provides three scholarships to its business majors:
- The W. P. Carey School of Business General Scholarship is a flexible application that Carey uses to match students to its departmental and private awards donated by corporations, alumni, and so on. There are five detailed resources listed that will help you submit the best essay possible, because that essay weighs heavily in judging your application.
- The Hispanic Business Alumni Scholarship is made possible by the dedicated fundraising of former ASU students who want to help young members of their community through college. Factors to be considered include academic performance, financial need, community service, and ability to lead.
- The Furst Honors Scholarship is awarded near the end of junior year or beginning of senior year to a student who has agreed to write an honors thesis concerning private equity financing. Academic excellence is required, and the scholarship brings $2,000.
College of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University
The Global Business Leadership Department belonging to the College of Saint Benedict/Saint John’s University has posted a list of endowed scholarships for sophomores and juniors who have majors in the department. Here are four of them:
- The Clarence and Julia Scherer Scholarship is given to a student noted for academic superiority and participation in on-campus activities. Financial need is required.
- The Mary Weinzierl Endowed Scholarship goes to a strongly motivated student dedicated to the pursuit of success.
- The Rothstein Family Scholarship looks for a student who has a GPA of 3.0, and the sole criterion named for the Charles E. Merrill Scholarship is academic strength.
Western Michigan University
Western Michigan University’s Department of Management lists a number of scholarships and awards. Interestingly, no applications are required because the department’s faculty will select all recipients based on leadership, scholastic prowess, or community service. Here are three of the available awards:
- The Timmy Parker Memorial Pay It Forward Scholarship in Management goes to an upperclassman, and either full- or part-time enrollment is acceptable. The ideal candidate will lead a well-balanced existence and strive to make a positive difference in life.
- The Dr. Henry Beam MBA Excellence Award is given to the highest-achieving student on the MBA track who has a concentration in management.
- The Jeff Robideau Award for Meritorious Scholarship depends upon a solid academic history.
University of Illinois Springfield
The College of Business and Management at University of Illinois Springfield currently offers eight scholarships, and here are three of them:
- The Evelyn Brandt Thomas Scholarship in the amount of $2,500 benefits a full-time junior or senior, it may be renewed for a year, and preference goes to female students.
- The Gilbert N. & Frances G. Stein Scholarship (two awards for $1,000 each) consider academic ability first and financial need second. Both freshmen and continuing students are eligible.
- The Joe Wilkins Scholarship brings $1,500 to an undergraduate or a graduate student, and while merit and management majors take priority, business and management majors may also apply.
University at Buffalo, The State University of New York
The University at Buffalo’s Poole College of Management has compiled a page of information on its scholarships, which are awarded in each fall semester to juniors and seniors who have majors in the college. Your enrollment must be full-time in courses at the 300 or 400 level, and your cumulative GPA must be at least 3.5.
Here are a few of the listings you’ll find:
- The Challen Family Scholarship, the Amena and Hatim Nakhoda & Family Endowed Scholarship, and the Charles W. Pearson Scholarship are distributed to students who show both academic achievement and financial need.
- The Michael J. Christopher Scholarship has similar criteria, and gives preference to a non-traditional student who was born in western New York. Another similar award, the Arthur and Louise Wasserman Scholarship, specifies the same geographic requirement but also seeks a student with Jewish heritage.
This enumeration of management scholarships could continue indefinitely, because there is an elevated level of corporate support for the field. If you’d like more information about that type of financial aid, you can find a good resource here.