Liberal Arts Scholarships
Become Well-Prepared for Today's Jobs
Liberal Arts programs are the foundation upon which many colleges and universities build their academic programs. Typically a school's college of liberal arts and sciences is comprised of up to two-dozen departmental majors from English to Mathematics. Students who study in a liberal arts program, however, are exposed to an array of disciplines. In fact, many employers consider graduates of a liberal arts program to be among some of the best prepared for employment.
Liberal Arts graduates may go on to graduate level studies in their major or head off into jobs related to their degree. Still others may choose to pursue professional studies or work in a completely unique field. Scholastically a liberal arts program is often recognized for its ability to provide students with a well-rounded education that engages them in critical thinking, and provides important communication skills.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at the University of Iowa sponsors a long list of general Liberal Arts scholarships for students. Among them are the following:
- Bill and John Fenton Scholarships honor Liberal Arts students in any major with up to $2800. A number of scholarships are awarded and selection is based on a range of criteria including an essay.
- Grisamore Liberal Arts and Sciences Scholarships are awarded to new students who receive federal Perkins Loans, but still have serious economic need. The Grisamore awards a scholarship equal to the value of a full tuition if the recipient needs it.
- Nadyne Harris Scholarships are open to students in the department who demonstrate academic excellence, leadership, and commitment to a field of study and can prove financial need. Awards are $2,000.
- Ernest Johnson Memorial Prize is awarded to a senior at the top of his or her graduating class. Award is $1,000.
- Myrna Lee Sprengler Memorial Scholarship is designed to reward the Liberal Arts student who is most remarkable for economic or social disadvantage in combination with outstanding academics.
Scholarships designed for Liberal Arts students at the University of Colorado-Denver are the following:
- Joseph Ben Trujillo Scholarship is awarded to Hispanic students enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts.
- Phyllis Weischeit Schultz Scholarship is given to an outstanding student in the Liberal Arts program who is the most academically talented. Open to sophomores and higher.
- Melvin Albaum Scholarship recognizes undergraduates who most exemplify a commitment to community service or activities.
Washington State University offers scholarships to students in the College of Liberal Arts. While many target specific majors and fields of study, others, such as the following, are more focused on a general Liberal Arts student:
- Barbara Bird and Lilyiane O'Neale Special Needs Scholarships are given to outstanding students in the Liberal Arts program with a physical disability.
- College of Liberal Arts Cougars of Color Scholarships are awarded to ethnic minority students in the Liberal Arts program.
- College of Liberal Arts Scholarship almost speaks for itself. Awards are given to outstanding students in the program both undergraduate and graduate level.
- Female undergraduate students of excellence may apply for the Florence George Handy Scholarship.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences at Wayne State University offers students access to expansive research facilities in the environment of a modestly sized campus. Scholarships available exclusively to students in the Liberal Arts include:
- The Liberal Arts Scholarship and Award is given to a student in the program who is the academic leader. Funding varies.
- Margaret Layne Finlayson Scholarships are awarded to outstanding female students studying a Liberal Arts curriculum. Students may be either undergraduate or graduate level students. Awards are $1,000.
Liberal Arts graduates who hold a B.A. degree and whose professional interests may focus on accounting may qualify for the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants John L. Carey Scholarships. LA graduates must be committed to pursuing a graduate program in accounting and be able to demonstrate former academic excellence in their baccalaureate degree.