Management Accounting Scholarships
Careers for High-level CPAs
Management Accounting majors can be found at many of the business colleges, often within a Management division. The major may also be called Managerial Accounting. Students will be required to learn all the base curriculum of Accounting, including tax and auditing practices, business finance basics, and statistics and accounting practices. At the Management level, course work will cover larger concepts in business and industry including business organization and advanced finance principles.
Professional accountants consider the CPA certification to be an industry must-have, but for Management Accountants the preferred certification is the Certified Management Accountant (CMA). Professional CMAs are often engaged at a higher level in a company's overall accounting outlook. They take into consideration the complete accounting picture, offer solutions and oversee best practices in accounting and finance.
The Institute of Management Accountants (IMA) is a national professional organization that seeks to support the growth of the profession in business realms. The organization is also involved with assisting students to reach their potential:
- IMA Diversity Awards go to minority and disabled Management Accounting students and is available through the Eli Broad College of Business.
- IMA Memorial Education Fund awards students up to $2500 based on academics and financial need.
- Stuart Cameron and Margaret McLeod Memorial Scholarship is awarded to one outstanding Management Accounting student. Award includes $5,000 plus expenses to attend the National and Student IMA Conferences.
- The coveted IMA Case Awards are given to an outstanding team of students from an IMA chapter. Students must analyze a case an accounting problem and offer innovative solutions. Top award is $5,000 and publication in national magazine.
The Kamil Mahdi Scholarship is a $600 award that goes to an upper level student in Management Accounting. Recipient must have outstanding academic and extracurricular record. Made available to students enrolled in the Division of Business and Economics at the University of Wisconsin- Stephens Point. Other awards for MA students:
- The American Production and Inventory Control Society Award goes to at least a junior level student in Management Accounting. This is a small award of $250.
- Central Wisconsin Apartment Association Scholarship awards $500 to a top student in the major.
- Sentry Scholarships are between $200 and $500.
- John C. Seramur Scholarship awards two freshman MA majors with $200.
- Stephens Point Board of Realtors, $500 award.
Many business and management programs offer general accounting scholarships that include those students specializing in Management Accounting either at the undergraduate or graduate level.