International Business Scholarships
Be Part of the Global Business Scene
The world of finance and commerce is quickly growing smaller, and global business relations are becoming ever more interwoven. The steady of rise of global business interests has driven a new demand for business and finance professionals with a solid background in international commerce. Indeed, many of today top business professionals need an extensive education in not only Business Administration, Finance, and Accounting, but also in International Affairs, and International Business Law.
Students majoring in International Business will first need to complete a core curriculum of general business studies. These are generally undergraduate courses, which will prepare the student for coursework leading to a higher degree. Once the core curriculum is completed, students will then need to move on to more focused studies such as Finance, Marketing or Forensic Accounting. To complete their International Business studies, students will need to augment their education with coursework dedicated to foreign languages and cultures, and international business law. Most International Business majors will also need to spend a semester or more studying abroad in the region of world in which they have decided to specialize.
Do to the extensive nature of International Business studies, the majority of available scholarships will be directed at upper level students working towards a graduate or post-graduate degree. Undergraduate students studying International Business will find a few programs dedicated to the needs, but may find better opportunities searching for general business scholarships. The best scholarships for International Business students will often include a travel stipend, allowing the student to study abroad in order to complete the requirements necessary to earn their degree. Scholarships for International Business majors are supported by a variety of sources, but are most commonly available through colleges, universities, and business schools.
Scholarships for International Business
Scholarships for students studying International Business are highly competitive, and are almost exclusively merit-based. Students should be prepared to face some stiff competition when applying for any of the available International Business scholarships. Again, International Business scholarships may be sponsored by a variety of sources, including professional business associations and private endowments. That being said, the majority of scholarships will be offered through the student financial aid offices of business schools, colleges and universities.
The following selection of scholarships should better illustrate the types of programs available to International Business majors.
- Washington State University’s International Business Institute is home to one of the foremost programs for International business. WSU offers a wide variety of scholarship opportunities for students at every level of their business education, including undergraduate and graduate programs. International Business majors may apply for any of WSU’s general scholarship programs, which offer award amounts ranging from $500 to $5000. More than 500 general business scholarships are awarded every year. International Business majors can also apply for the International Experience Scholarship which provides top performing students with the funding they need to complete their studies abroad. All scholarship awards are merit-based, though financial need will be used as a deciding factor when there are multiple applicants with similar credentials.
- Brandeis University’s International School of Business has a generous financial aid program, with more than a third of students qualifying for some level of assistance. All enrolled students are automatically considered for a merit-based scholarship, while students who complete the university’s Statement of Financial Resources will be considered for any available need-based awards. Among the scholarships offered by Brandeis for its International Business students are the Dean’s Prize Scholarship, the Global Leadership Award, and the Feld and Scharfman Scholarship. Award amounts vary according to course of study, degree level, and financial need.
- The Women in International Trade Charitable Trust is devoted to encouraging and strengthening women’s roles in international trade and finance. The trust sponsors the WIIT Scholarship which awards two annual scholarships of $1500 to women pursuing degrees and careers in international business. Each year one scholarship each is awarded to an undergraduate and graduate student enrolled in an accredited college or school of business.
- The University of Akron offers a number of endowed scholarships for students pursuing degrees in International Business. The Joyce Wortman Barnett Endowed International Business Scholarship for Excellence is a merit-based award given each year to an outstanding student studying International Business at the University of Akron School of Business. The Margaret (Zink) Brewster Scholarship in International Business is available to academically talented incoming students who plan to pursue a major in International Business. The scholarship is solely decided on the basis of merit, and is renewable for up to three years.
- The Romain College of Business at the University of Southern Indiana offers a wide range of scholarship opportunities for business majors at every stage of the education. Included among the many scholarship opportunities administered by the college is the Walter Jermakowicz Memorial Scholarship of International Studies, which provides financial support for International Business majors to complete their studies abroad.
As the global business community becomes more and more interrelated, students with degrees in International Business will be highly prized, and actively sought after by businesses with global interests. While International Business majors will find the education extensive, they will also find a large number of lucrative scholarships available to help them realize their career ambitions.