Finance is Fierce, Compete for Generous Scholarships
If you're majoring in Finance or considering it you will likely be attending a business school attached to a college or university. Finance majors are among stiff competition. The business sector is rippling with increasingly ramped up requirements for professionals and the environment is migrating quickly to one more globally focused.
Students in Finance will likely study business finance in all its facets including financial investing, funds, capital, securities, as well as budgeting and planning. Major courses of study include micro and macroeconomics and financial markets and policy.
Careers in Finance
Graduates of a finance program may choose to continue on to a Masters level program leading to a financial management position or enter the work force to earn their experience from the ground up. Wherever there is money to be handled, you may find jobs for finance majors: banking, investment services, accounting, fund managers and stockbrokers.
Students in Finance at the University of Cincinnati's College of Business may be considered for:
- The Bahl and Gaynor Scholarship. This family endowment recognizes the outstanding academic record of a finance major. The recipient must be interested in pursuing investment as a career.
- The Heinrich Scholarship is a merit and need-based scholarship available to Finance students with a GPA of at least 3.0 and entering their junior year of studies.
- Juniors in the Finance program with a GPA of 2.75 may be considered for the Kress Scholarship. Eligible candidates must also prove financial need.
- The coveted Financial Executive's Award is bestowed upon a rising senior who has shown outstanding academic work as well as demonstrated leadership among his or her peers.
Middle Tennessee State University Jennings A. Jones College of Business awards scholarships in Finance to quite a number of deserving students:
- The Bobby Corcoran Scholarships go to freshman already declaring a Finance major.
- The Economics and Finance Faculty Scholarships are up for grabs to deserving juniors or seniors that have demonstrated academic achievement and who require financial aid for school.
- PRIMUS Financial Services Scholarship is awarded to at least a junior level student who may not possess the highest GPA in the class, but does exhibit a talent for leadership.
The University of Arizona Eller School of Management sponsors the Fielding-Singh Awards for Finance majors. Students must own the highest GPA, demonstrate leadership abilities, and have been engaged in department activities to qualify for this $2000 scholarship.
Minorities in Finance
The Haworth College of Business at Western Michigan University awards two different scholarships to minority students in the Finance major:
- The Greenleaf Asset Management Scholarships go to those students based on merit and need. Students must be incoming freshman and ready to declare a major in Finance. Awards are generous; up to $8,000.
- The Chubb Group of Insurance Companies scholarship is available to junior level students with expressed financial need.