Kentucky Student Grants for College

Fund Your Education with Free Grant Money

For Kentucky college students, an agency called the Kentucky Higher Education Assistance Authority (KHEAA) is the primary source for information about the grants Kentucky offers its college-bound residents. KHEAA has an interesting mission: although it was established by Kentucky in 1966 to assist in-state students with information on college planning and state financial aid, KHEAA also honors an agreement to provide similar services to Alabama’s students.

Grants From Kentucky State Government

Kentucky maintains three grant programs to help its students pay for college.

College Access Program GrantKentucky grants for college

The College Access Program (CAP) Grants give as much as $1,900 per year to financially needy undergraduates. You must attend an eligible institution, meaning one that appears on the approved list.

You must live in Kentucky to apply, attend school at least half-time, and your course of study must last at least two years. You must also be free of past due debt to either KHEAA or any federal Title IV loan program (like the Direct or Perkins loan programs, for instance).

Filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required, and it is strongly recommended that you file as soon as possible. CAP grants are Kentucky’s main avenue for directing funding to needy students, and only 40% of eligible students received help before the money ran out, as of 2010. The Kentucky Council on Postsecondary Education suggests the federal grant programs, outlined below, as alternatives for Kentucky students.

Kentucky Tuition Grant

The Kentucky Tuition Grant (KTG) program supplies a maximum of $3,000 to students who want to attend private schools in Kentucky (see previous link to approved list, select KTG tab). Requirements are similar: you must present a case of financial need, you cannot be overdue on student debt owed to Kentucky or to the federal government, and you must live in Kentucky.

You must attend school full-time while pursuing a degree, and either an associates or bachelors will do. The approved list will settle any questions about participating schools, but in general, any institution that offers only religious instruction does not qualify. All schools on the list are accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools or have some equivalent certification.

Go Higher Grant

The Go Higher Grants are designed to encourage students at least 24 years of age to finish a first undergraduate degree by attending school less than half-time, which usually means either one or two courses. You must be a citizen of the U. S., permanent resident, or U. S. national to receive a Go Higher grant, and you must demonstrate financial need.

The no-debt requirement and the stipulation of Kentucky residency both apply to Go Higher, and award amounts range up to $1,000.

Federal Grants For Kentucky Students

All four federal student grant programs are also available to Kentucky students.

Federal Pell Grant

The Federal Pell Grants normally support education for undergraduates approaching a first degree. However, some teaching students seeking certification as a teacher after graduation are also eligible for the Pell. Pell grants are the only student aid specifically exempted from sequestration as of May 2013, meaning the proposed increase for the 2013-2014 award year, from $5,550 to $5,645, remains in place.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants go to students who would otherwise be eligible for Pell grants, but do not qualify because their Expected Family Contribution (calculated according to a federal formula) is too great. You must have lost a parent as a result of military service in either Iraq or Afghanistan after 9/11, and must have been under 24 or already enrolled in college at that time.

Normally the maximum for the Iraq and Afghanistan grants is the same as it is for the Pell, but sequestration is producing a reduction of 37.8% in the Iraq or Afghanistan grants’ amounts. Thus, the maximum of $5,645 (2013-2014) declines to $3,511.19.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) program is administered by individual participating schools rather than the U. S. Department of Education, and is thus referred to as campus-based aid. The funding goes directly to schools, who pass it on to students, and the impact of sequestration on FSEOG is therefore measured in terms of program dollars (a loss of $86 million for FSEOG and Federal Work-Study combined).

Funding for FSEOG has always been limited, going to students who have the most financial need remaining after a Pell grant has been applied, and the cut will mean even fewer students can expect help from FSEOG. Fill out your FAFSA and consult your financial aid office as early as possible in the year to boost your chances.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant

The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grants are intended to pay for teacher training in exchange for an agreement to teach for at four academic years in a high-need field like science, mathematics, or bilingual education. Your service must be performed in a low-income school or an agency that offers educational services.

The maximum TEACH grant amount for 2013-2014 will be reduced from $4,000 to $3,496 to reflect a cut of 12.6%. You can read more about federal grants here, and about other Kentucky financial aid here.


NEW: Scholarship search engine: fast, free, no registration required. Try it today!