Utah Student Grants for College

Fund Your Utah College Education with Free Grant Money

The state of Utah has created the Utah Higher Education Assistance Authority (UHEAA) to administer its financial aid programs. Although UHEAA has collected and posted general information on types of financial aid, it does not provide any specifics on available student grants, instead referring readers to financial aid offices at Utah’s individual state colleges and universities.

Utah grants for college

Utah Centennial Opportunity Program for Education

The Utah Centennial Opportunity Program for Education (UCOPE) is Utah’s response to the problem of dwindling financing for federal student aid programs. UCOPE is handed out by participating schools, each of which gets a share of the UCOPE funding, and those include the ten schools of the Utah System of Higher Education plus three private schools (Brigham Young University, Westminster College and LDS Business College).

Utah gives the schools latitude in administering the program, permitting them to decide whether to disburse the money as grants or by way of work-study programs. Thus, the UCOPE award appears in the form of grant money at Weber State University and as a work-study option for graduates of Utah high schools at Brigham Young University (BYU). As an example, here is what Weber’s UCOPE offering looks like:

For comparison, the criteria established by Utah law for UCOPE are these:

Although UCOPE was renamed as the Higher Education Success Stipend Program (HESSP) in 2011, many of the participating schools still refer to that form of aid as UCOPE on their websites.

Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP) Program

The Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership (LEAP) Program is a federal grant program, but the funding is sent to each state for disbursement. As with the UCOPE/HESSP program, individual Utah schools use their discretion in making decisions regarding the program, so you must check with your financial aid office to see whether your school hands out LEAP grants. Here are two examples of how the program is administered by different schools:

University of Utah Grants

College of Fine Arts Grants

The University of Utah’s College of Fine Arts offers two types of grants to its students. The first is a travel grant for graduate students and the second pays for students’ efforts to benefit the school using fine arts. Here are details:

Sigma Theta Tau International Gamma Rho Chapter Graduate Student Research Awards

The University of Utah College of Nursing has posted a page of information on the research grants provided by the Sigma Theta Tau Gamma Rho Chapter, including some intended for graduate students who belong to the chapter. Those seeking PhD, DNP, or masters degrees can apply for grants to support their dissertation work or another research project, none of which may also be funded from another source.

Work in progress is acceptable, and you must submit a detailed proposal explaining why your work will make an important contribution.

Department of Linguistics

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Utah offers Professional Development Travel Grants to graduate students who wish to attend conferences or conventions. With your application, you will need to submit a curriculum vitae, verification of U. S. citizenship, letter explaining how attendance will help you, and a budget.