Agricultural Communications Scholarships
Get Funding at Your School
The field of agriculture spans the realm of large corporations, bioengineering, livestock, food handling and grassroots organic farming. An increasing specialty in the field is that of Agricultural Communications. Between agricultural extension agencies and private organizations, the field must be hinged together with effective and highly trained educators whose expertise lies in agriculture, but whose primary function is to effect communication between various agencies as well as with the public at large.
Agricultural communicators are required to wear many hats. Professionals in the field will find themselves doing everything from creating websites to presenting lectures and writing informational brochures, among a slew of other communications tasks. Job opportunities for Agricultural Communicators can be found in business, public organizations, at broadcast and advertising companies and as teachers at all levels of education.
There are quite a few scholarships available to students majoring in Agricultural Communications at Ohio State University. The program provides both Bachelors and Masters degree options and trains students in a mass communications type program within the realm of agriculture. Students are trained to communicate effectively and persuasively across a stable of media and are expected to be aware of current issues and news that affect the industry:
- Earl and Wilma McMunn Scholarships offer generous awards to undergraduate majors in Ag Communications.
- Ohio Agribusiness Association Educational Trust awards up to $2,000 to students who’ve been in the major at least a year.
- John Hancock Klippert Memorial Scholarship awards $1,000 every year to a department major.
- Former 4-H’ers may be eligible for the Bill Zipf 4-H Memorial Scholarship. Applicants may earn $1,000 toward their tuition.
- Leo Rummell Endowed Scholarships recognize an outstanding student in the major who is done with their internship. Awards are $2,500.
Agricultural Communications Scholarships from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign are given out to student majors who are able to demonstrate top-notch academic records, in combination with a financial need for the extra funds. UI students will choose to emphasize Consumer and Environmental Sciences Communications and will be required to micro-specialize in a communication medium.
Purdue University has assembled an Agricultural Communications major that is an interdisciplinary collection of loosely related courses that ultimately come together to make sense for the student. Participants are prepared for demanding jobs in communications and education. Scholarships available to students include:
- Farmer’s Exchange: Outstanding Junior in Agricultural Communication Scholarships award $500 to students with a recognizable talent in the field and whose participation in department activities is exemplary.
- Indiana Farm Bureau, Inc. Outstanding Senior in Agricultural Communication Scholarships award $500 to those students most promising in the field.
- Farm World: Journalism Scholarships of course award students in Ag Comm major whose work in the area of journalism is exemplary. Awards are $500. Essay is required for consideration.
- Indiana Prairie Farmer: Outstanding Student in Agricultural Communications Scholarships go to the most academically talented in the major regardless of class level. Applicants must be natural leaders. Awards are $500.
The Agricultural Communications program at Oklahoma State University has been in existence since the mid 1920s. Since that time technology and mass communications have gone through various metamorphoses where we are now: on a consistently changing plane of media. Students in the major are able to design portions of their curriculum so that they are targeted on their career path. Scholarships include:
- Agricultural Communications Alumni Scholarships reward those whose academics and participation in Agricultural Communicators of Tomorrow are outstanding and who are also in financial need of the funds. Up to $500.
- Herb Karner Agricultural Journalism Scholarships go to those whose talent lies in the written word and whose commitment to the field is unrivalled. Awards are $500.
- Ferdie Deering President’s Distinguished Scholarships offer generous scholarships to academically motivated freshman in the major. Up to $2,000 is renewable each academic year as long as candidates maintain academic standards.
- Dr. Alezander Magruder Memorial Scholarships are intended to recognize outstanding all around students who are residents of the state and who promise to be strong leaders in the field.
- Ernest Shiner Memorial Scholarships award $500 to a student whose talent and career interests are in printed communications.